Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fitting the Pieces Together

As I look back to week one of Learning Theories and Instruction, I realized how my thinking has changed about the different learning styles and the way I learn.  The first week we were asked to evaluate our own learning styles and what learning theories were linked to the way we learn.  I discussed how cognitive learning is the most effective learning for me as well as when I teach new content to my students.  As the course progressed and I learned about all the various learning styles, I would have to say my mind has changed about how I learn and other people learn as well.  This class gave me a deeper level of understanding of the learning process that everyone goes through when learning new information.  There are factors that impact the process of a learner such as social interaction, previous experiences, and a person’s environment.  The different learning theories clearly stated the different roles of the learner and how there are so many different ways that people process information.  It was insightful to learn how each learning theory plays a very important role in the learning process.  When designing instruction, it’s very important to examine each learning theory.  There is no one theory that fits all learners and that each person is different in the way the process information.  Behaviorism, cognitivsm, constructivism, social learning and adult learning can be utilized depending on what type of training you’re facilitating and who you are instructing.
This course has provided the foundation and framework to successfully design instruction.  The assignment that stood out the most for me and I think will make a big impact on instructional design is the mind map project.  I realized how much learning is connected to my entire network.  Connectivism is an emerging perspective on learning and I look forward to using this type of learning to enhance instruction.  Furthermore, as an adult learner the theories I connect most with is constructivism, connectivism, and social learning.   Enrolling into this master’s program, I was a little hesitant with the demands of the online assignments as well as the interaction among other students.  As I said before I am a social learner and in the beginning I thought it would be difficult to discuss and participate in constructing knowledge through online classes.  What I have gained from this course as well as my previous course is more social interaction between other students with these online classes than what a traditional classroom would provide.  I have gained a deeper level of understanding from discussing topics and responding to posts than I have when I sat in a classroom and received a standard lecture.
A social environment enhances the way someone learns by providing new perspectives.  “Meaningful learning occurs when individuals are engaged in social activities“(Kim, 2001).  I really relate to this theory because this helps me gain more knowledge in my Zone of Proximal Development.  According to Vygotsky we learn at two different levels.  One level is the cultural environment.  When we interact with others, it helps us complete a range of activities that are difficult, but not impossible to complete (Laureatte Education, 2011).  Whereas connectivism is when learning and knowledge rest in diversity of opinions and having the ability to see connections between fields, ideas, and concepts when learning occurs (Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008).  These theories definitely have played an important role in discussions and online learning.
Technology is an essential component in the way that I learn.  Technology has advanced to different levels in the past 10 years.  I remember logging onto the internet for the first time 10 years ago and had no idea of how to use it properly.  Today I use it for just about everything in my career and in school.  I use Google to search for certain topics and information that helps me enhance my lesson plans as well as understand the different theories of learning.  I also found blogging to be of interest when I started to use it for this class.  Instead of writing thoughts and opinions about certain subjects on paper, I find it more useful to type in that information and to connect with other people who are discussing the same topics. 

References:

Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Connectivism

Kim, B. (2001). Social Constructivism in M. Orey (Ed.). Retrieved October 23, 2011, from Emerging Perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology: http://www.projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). Theory of Social Cognitive Development . [DVD].

No comments:

Post a Comment